No...I usually blur it quite a bit, depending on how much I want to feather
things.

You can pretty much use filters on anything (except paths. of course).
Quickmask is just
a special sort of temporary channel.  You can get some interesting effects with
things
like the pick filter, etc.

You can also go into the channels dialog and duplicate the quickmask channel to
save it
for something else.  Or just turn it back into a selection and then do
Select>Save to
channel and play with it that way.

The whole channels thing is kinda handy, you can use it to build up complex
selections by
working on parts of it individually.