On 6/5/07, DJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Why is the quick-mask in the un-do's?  It doesn't actually modify the
> image. I turn the quick-mask on and off a lot, and it pops up a lot in
> the undo's.
It does modify the image. The selection is considered part of the
image. Compare it with paths -- you can modify them without effecting
the appearance of the image, but they are still tracked in the undo
stack.

The guiding principle here is just, I think, that being able to
undo/redo selections is more useful than not being able to.. same as
with paths. Certainly you can spend a great deal of time getting the
right shape or blending in the selection.

"I know there is a layer mode for Dodge and Burn. But I don't want to apply
it to the entire layer, just touch-up's, here and there, so I'll be able
to click on the eye to see how it is improving the image."

It sounds like you should not be using the Dodge/Burn layer modes at
all; Instead, try this:

1. Duplicate the background layer
2. Add a layer mask to the new layer.
3. Edit the layer mask so that its white (solid) areas match the areas
you want dodge/burn to appear in, and the rest is black.
4. Use the Dodge/Burn tool on the new layer (not the mask -- be sure
to click on the actual picture for that layer in the layers dialog
before drawing. I've often been confused because I made that mistake.)

(you could also use what Elwin says: "However, I suppose you could
duplicate the layer, then use that same selection, invert it, then cut
away the part of the image you don't want to be affected" to achieve
the same thing more simply. It all depends on how exactly you need to
control the areas that dodge/burn is applied to. Using a layer mask is
better if you need to make lots of adjustments.)

Elwin, you say:
"What I usually do to spot adjust a single area is to make a selection
around with the lasso tool.  Then I turn on quickmask and gaussian
blur
the mask to give it a nice soft edge. "
You can save some time by just using the feather option of the lasso
tool -- IIRC feathering is implemented by a gaussian blur, so the only
advantage of applying blur manually in this case is if you want to use
differing amounts of horizontal and vertical blur, or choose between
IIR and RLE (In my experience for most cases the difference is barely
detectable.)