Hi Bettina,

> Hi everyone,
>
> I know I should ask someone else. but like Victor Domingos - I post my
> question also here - maybe someone of you had the same problem.

indeed your question is not very close releated to GIMP and I'm not
sure how I can help. For me the MacPorts gimp port works very well.
Am 26.08.2007 um 11:57 schrieb Bettina Lechner:

> I am using macports on mac osx 10.3 and tried to install gimp 2.4.0-
> rc1.

eeek, I think this might already lead to the error. The OS X 10.3 is
already pretty old and there are a couple of differences in the
development environment between 10.3 and 10.4.

> but it stopped with the following error(s):
>
> Building gtk2 with target all
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
> "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macport
> s.org_release_ports_x11_gtk2/work/gtk+-2.10.14" && make all
> CFLAGS+="-I/usr/X11R6/include" " returned error 2
> Command output: gtkprintbackendcups.c:2409: error: request for member
> `num_groups' in something not a structure or union
>
> So I contacted the gimp2-maintainer an he answered:
>
>> This problem is related not t gimp but to gtk on 10.3
>>
>> You can try gtk28 but if that fails, you should ask the gtk2
>> maintainer
>>
>> yves

There is not much to say about this. He is right. You should ask the
MacPort gtk2 maintainer.

> unfortunatly I am not very fit to this things behind a programm... so:
> how can I "try gtk28"?
> what is the command? "sudo port install gtk28"?

try a port search gtk28:
gtk28                          x11/gtk28      2.8.20       Gimp
ToolKit version 2

but I'm pretty sure that GIMP 2.4 needs a more recent gtk than 2.8...

> should I than install gimp again?
> or before uninstall something?
> I am running gimp 2.2 (but installed with the dmg file not through
> macports.
> might this be a problem?)

If there is nothing else you use MacPorts for, you could completely
remove it (see http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts ), reinstall it and just do a
sudo port selfupdate; port sync; sudo port install gimp-app gimp

> ---------------
> and is it
> "sudo port install gimp2" or "gimp" ?
does not matter (right now), both insall 2.4.0-rc1

> sorry for all these questions - but I really need gimp!
> can anybody help me?
> thank you very much in advance.
> tina

So in the end: mail the gtk2 maintainer - you find his address by
doing a port info gtk2.

Greetings, lexA

---
Remember: There are only two tools in life. WD-40, for when something
doesn't move, and should, and Duct Tape, for when something is moving
and it shouldn't.
So does the universe explode if you spray duct tape with WD-40?