A plugin is an executable - ie. it's a program you can run, like you
can run Inkscape or GIMP.
A script is a set of text instructions which are run by a script
interpreter (script-fu).

Thus, it's easy to tell the difference:
* If it has a .scm extension, it's a script
* Failing that, if you can open it in a text editor and it looks
somewhat readable, it's a script.