It's worth remembering that printing is almost universally still 8bit.
However, it is clearly very important that any current image package
should allow opening and manipulation of greater depth images. My own
camera is a long obsolete Fuji S20 but it produces 12bit images. As a
result all my post processing is done in ImageMagick and the GIMP is only
of use in opening the final jpg fro cropping and printing.

But, 32bit and 64bit colour is effectively meaningless. It would certainly
be useful for an image package to work internally in 32bit, and maybe even
64, so that the results of, for example, multiple layers with transparancy
can be calculated without errors showing, but for both input (ie, taking
the original picture) and output both 32 and 64 bit is a waste of time and
probably money too.

TW