Hi,

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 09:56 -0600, ChadDavis wrote:
> I've got a rectangle selection.  Now, I am trying to do a subtractive
> selection within that rectangular selection, to make a sort of picture
> frame selection.  The problem is that I'm having trouble getting the
> inner, substractive selection centered within the first rectangle.
>
> When I use the ctrl key while selecting, it grows a rectangle and I
> can't figure out where to start the growth so it is centered.  Very
> hard to do.

Very simple, actually. You just need to realize that it makes a
difference if you press the modifier keys before you start your drag or
if you press them while you are dragging. In order to subtract a
centered selection you press the Ctrl key _before_ you press the mouse
button. This turns the selection tool into subtract mode. Now press your
mouse button in the center of the selection. If helps if you marked this
point using guides beforehand.  While you keep the mouse button pressed,
the modifier keys get a different meaning. Ctrl centers the selection
around the start point, Shift forces the aspect ratio to 1:1.

BTW, you should really upgrade to GIMP 2.4. The rectangle/ellipse
selection tools are a lot easier to use there.

Sven