Hi,

I'm posting this again, since I really would like to
check out the new features in Gimp 2.6.

As I posted a few weeks ago, Gimp 2.6.1 crashes each time
I try to perform a filter, color adjustment, etc., so that
I had to install 2.4.7 in order to have a working bitmap
editor. This happened since I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10.
Someone suggested that it might have to do with my
outdated hardware (AMD K6 II/350 MHz), but since I don't
have the money right now to buy a new computer, I would
like to know if anyone has an idea what I could do to fix
this problem.

When running Gimp out of a shell, I am getting:

"(script-fu:5142): LibGimpBase-WARNING **: script-fu: gimp_wire_read():
error Illegal instruction"

My guess is that it might have to do with GEGL, but on the other
hand I am assuming that Synaptic would automatically install all
the required packages. (I don't want to have to compile anything;
if there's a fix for it & I need to install additional packages,
I would prefer .deb files.)

I did have the latest 'libgimp' installed (I downgraded to the version
for Gimp 2.4.7 in the meantime), and I am not using compiz (as Chris
asked me the last time I posted on this.)

Especially after reading this very good & thorough review of
Gimp 2.6, I would like to check out the Gimp's new possibilities.
Two thing I am personally missing are a) 16-bit support, as well as
b) better anti-aliasing. While there are workarounds to improve the
latter, Gimp still doesn't output the quality of say, Photoshop.
I especially become aware of this when using curves to get a chromium
effect, or applying 'Lighting Effects', where I am frequently getting
'stripes' instead of smooth gradients. I don't know, though, how much
this has been improved upon in Gimp 2.6.

TIA,

Claus

--
Claus Cyrny : Webdesign |  Grafik | Fotografie
:: Web: http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/ ::.