On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:37 AM,  <zhangwe...@realss.com> wrote:
> Sven Neumann schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>> Yes, but even Ubuntu is still shipping 2.6.1 with their latest stable
>>> version (8.10) and shipping 2.4.x with the long-term-support version
>>> (8.04).
>> They have 2.6.3 in intrepid-backports, so a user of the latest stable
>> version should have that at least. 2.6.3 is already much more recent
>> than 2.6.1 and has lots of bug-fixes. But yeah, Ubuntu should do their
>> users a favor and provide more recent bug-fix releases.
> Nope. I also have a second computer runs Ubuntu 8.04 (I didn't upgrade
> to 8.10 yet), that every time the system tell me to upgrade I would do
> it (last time was in last week). But it still uses Gimp 2.5.4 (sheeee??
> an unstable version?).
> If Ubuntu has 2.6 without a system-upgrade, I'd be glad to try. I don't
> want to fight the hassle of system-upgrade in recent months. Usually a
> system-upgrade means I need to get used to something a bit different, I
> prefer trying that in less heavy-working days

When I was running Ubuntu 8.04, I compiled GIMP 2.6 and installed into
/opt - this seemed the easiest solution for me.  however, you may be
able to get .deb files from getdeb, as outlined here:
Or, you could browse their repo and download them manually and install
with dpkg...

Some months ago, I upgraded to 8.10 - but I understand your
hesitation: the upgrade worked pretty well, but a few things needed to
be reconfigured.