aether wrote:

> And I haven't even opened it yet!
>
> I recently went to open GIMP, and right when I thought GIMP had finished
> initializing, I got a dialog box that said GIMP needed to close.  I was never
> able to open GIMP after that.
>
> So I uninstalled GIMP and used Search to clean out all of the stray bits left
> scattered around.  I then downloaded a new copy of GIMP 2.6.5.  But this new
> copy is doing exactly the same thing.
>
> I'm honestly not even sure how to go about fixing this one.  This sounds to
> me like I might have a problem on my end--if only because this problem doesn't
> seem to be happening to anybody else out there.  But I don't know where to
> start looking for the problem if it's on my end.  I've not added any new
> software since the last time I was able to use GIMP.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any advice here, even if it's only of a general
> nature telling me how I should approach this problem.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Just out of curiosity since you have provided no real information about
what you have and have not done.....

1.  Did you bother taking a look at the task manager to see if there is
a gimp process already running that was left over from the installer?

2.  Have you looked at the Event Viewer and the application error logs?
  If they aren't turned on turn on logging for that.

I haven't used windows for several years but that's where I would start.