>bumpkin <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
>
>> The graphics guy sent me our logo as a .jpg so I created a new file with
the
>> appropriate dimensions in the lasest GIMP for windows. I imported and
scaled
>> down the logo to the appropriate size and placed it at the top, finished
>> adding the text, combined the layers and exported as a .tiff for the
printer.
>> The logo and text resolution on the print out was terrible... I tried
printing
>> it in the original GIMP format and as jpeg... same quality.
>>
>> I then tried created the same add in Word 2007 and the image and text
quality
>> was excellent :( I am a linux user and was rather frustrated and confused
when
>> Word produced better print quality than GIMP. Any explanation or help
greatly
>> appreciated. Thanks
>
>Your problem is obviously a problem of resolution, especially when you
>compare a raster application like GIMP to a vectorial application like
>Word. What were your "appropriate sizes"? I suspect you appreciated them
>on your screen at 100 dpi, while your printer needs at least 300 dpi.
>
>Thanks for the reply. First I created a document to be the size of the
entire quarter page ad, 3.75" by 4.75". Then, I opened the .jpeg of the logo
and dragged the corner to scale it to be slightly more narrow than the width
of the add while maintaining the approximate aspect ratio. I used the same
process to recreate the ad in Word 2007 and it printed and the quality I was
expecting. Whereas, in GIMP, both the text and logo were printed at a much
lower resolution.

--
bumpkin (via www.gimpusers.com)