On Saturday 05 September 2009 08:41:38 am Bill S. wrote:
> I'm using GIMP 2.6.6 that came with my Ubuntu 9.04 distro.   I've been
> to learn about GIMP.  I bought a book about GIMP for $45.

your book obviously was written for an earlier version of GIMP. you can
of course install that earlier version instead of the later one, but i
wouldn't do that; you'd loose the improvements that have been made in
recent development, and you can still use your book with newer versions.

while the location of menus and options has changed in some cases, they
are still available, and the procedures and techniques described in the
book are still valuable. i would use GIMP's online help
(http://gimp.org/docs/) to locate options that are in different places
now and for new features that weren't available when the book was