On Sunday 27 December 2009, upscope wrote:
>On Sunday 27 December 2009 07:41:29 am Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Saturday 26 December 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >Greetings all;
>> >
>> >I have a B&W Brother HL-2140 printer, that I normally use with a
>> > color computer, all setup and working in cups, in addition to
>> > several different profiles for an Epson NX515 combo printer that
>> > I bought to replace my old Epson C82 when the printhead in it
>> > finally expired.
>> >
>> >Everytime I run gimp to print something, I am reminded that its
>> > printer database is totally independent of the cups database.
>> > And for some reason, tossing a gimp loaded .jpg at the NX515 only
>> > gets me about 80 pages of blank paper.  Or a printer jam, this
>> > NX515 is a POS compared to the old C82.
>> >
>> >So my question is: Where do I put the BR2140.ppd that cups uses so
>> > that the gutenprint plug-in can also find it?  The regular print
>> > dialog has no knowledge of this printer, and nowhere near enough
>> > controls to be usable.
>> >
>> >My wife, who needs about 8 pages of a Contata Finale piece printed
>> > on regular paper so they'll lay flat on the piano while she plays
>> > them, is checking to see if I've got this done yet about every
>> > station break on the tv.  And my sanity, if I ever had any, is
>> > receding.   Help!
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>> PS, & since no one has touched this one with a single character of
>>  reply,  I found a workaround.  goto print, select the Brother from
>>  the printer listing (after its setup with the new menu that's in
>>  there someplace), then do a print preview which does display it in
>>  portrait, click on the full width button on the menubar, then
>>  click on the print button on the preview screen. It is then
>>  printed portrait, full sized.  Any other method prints it
>>  landscape, slightly smaller in scale and still with some of the
>>  bottom clipped off.
>> I feel like I'm playing connect the dots here folks.  The excedrin
>>  headache number is approaching overflow status...
>If your running openSUSE Linux you can put the ppd into /etc/cups/ppd/
>. I assume other distros also put it there. Also you can up the cups
>web interface to set up the printer. The PPD will still wind up in
>/etc/cups/ppd. make sure its the right ppd for your printer.

Yes, I see the right one I copied in there yesterday, along with about every
case variation of cups-pdf.ppd and a bunch of ppd.bak's, all gone now.

I've no idea why I have to jump thgrough so many hoops to get the correct
size & orientation when printing from cups though.

And it would also be very very nice if gimp used the same drivers, sadly, no.

Thank you very much.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You are here: