John Culleton wrote:
> I don't try to use the print capabilities of Gimp, of Inkscape, of
> Krita, of Scribus or whatever. It is easier to save a file (PDF
> anyone?) and print that file out using e.g., Acrobat Reader.
> And now a question. Why are you "upgrading" to the effectively
> abandoned product Vista? Would not Windows 7 make more sense?

CHAD: .jpg is a _lossy_ image file format (even at the highest quality
It is probably not an issue if you are printing to a low-quality printer, but
aware that _every_ time you save a .jpg, the image quality is lessened.  If for
some reason you must save/export to .jpg keep the original image and always do
all editing in the original image.

I don't have any problems printing from Gimp, even to a cheap, low-memory
ink-jet, but then I am on Ubuntu Linux.

JOHN:  IMHO, the idea of having go through yet another file format (PDF) and
program (Acrobat) just to print is not an acceptable long-term solution.  I
had images that I needed to print to a cheap ink-jet printer (because that was
the only printer available at the time due to service problems) and simply had
to have a print right now.  Due to the printer's lack of calibration, I had to
tweak a _copy_ of the image to get colors to come out as needed -- I had to
print about 12 times to dial it in.  If I had to make a PDF each time, it would
have taken much, much longer.

Regarding Vista vs Windows 7, etc., I did not write clearly.  I will have to
install whatever version of Windoze the required software demands.  But it will
be installed under Vmware Workstation and run under Vmware Player, allowing
single Windoze instance to be run from any physical workstation on the network.