On 2011-02-17 17:24, Suntot wrote:

>> >Color-to-alpha only applies to the selection, so you can restrict its
>> >effects by doing a selection first. For instance to remove a background,
>> >use the wand to get a rough selection of the background, grow the
>> >selection by  a couple of pixels so that it includes the edges of the
>> >foreground, and perform color-to-alpha.
> I tried doing a selection but since both colors are similar it selects all.
> Changed selection thresholds and it still doesn't work. Here is what I am
> trying to
> change:http://www.weddingclipart.com/wca/edittemplate.do?template=218069
>
> I am trying to change the colors of the scrolls on the wedding invitation.
> The dark blue into a red, the lighter into a black. Yet I can't seem to get
> it to work flawlessly. Please help. thanks
I got pretty good results by first selecting white, cutting that,
pasting to a new layer, then selecting the light-blue, cutting that and
pasting to a new layer and finally selecting dark-blue, cutting and
pasting to new layer.
see http://screencast.com/t/jb44OAkIOywh

It could probably be done with fewer layers than I used ....