>Mathias Lindner wrote:
>> The best format would be a vector graphic as suggested. But from my
>> experience it's hard to get a good one from pixel files.

>There are programs you can use that can convert (or try to convert) a bitmap
>image to a vector graphic one. One such option is Autotrace which you can
>get from SourceForge at http://autotrace.sourceforge.net/.

Thanks for all the replies.  It might make my situation clearer if I explain
that I do not need to maintain much quality when converting these drawings,
except that I need to preserve s certain level of detail so that I can read
them after I import them into the application for which I am trying to
downsize.

Of course, the problem that I have run into this morning was that my
application was choking on the tiff files, and most of the solutions I tried
either did not result in smaller files, or the smaller result was so fuzzy that
I could not make out certain details I need in order to work with the drawings.

I did manage to crop away unnecessary areas of the original tiffs, so was
finally able to import them at their full resolution into my application so
that I could complete my project.

Will try all the mentioned solutions to see which yields the optimum results.
I'm not certain my application can work with gif's, however.

Thanks again.

Caruso

--
Carusoswi (via gimpusers.com)