Hello,

Cool as GIMP is, you may want to consider something a little more
scientifically robust for your purposes. Consider Khoros/Cantata.
I think their URL is www.kchoral.com. It is a powerful tool for
prototyping, but I can't say that I use it a lot anymore
(I suffer from the 'code-it-yourself' syndrome).

Khoros/Cantata will provide you with the histograms, thresholding, and
probably even XY projections that you could use for image
registration. And, it provides a visual environment in which to plug
all the pieces together and evaluate the results.

Regards,

--
L. Jack Reese   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   __o
,---,___`----.  http://students.cs.byu.edu/~reese             _'\<,_