The URL was

   Cool as GIMP is, you may want to consider something a little more
   scientifically robust for your purposes. Consider Khoros/Cantata.
   I think their URL is It is a powerful tool for
   prototyping, but I can't say that I use it a lot anymore
   (I suffer from the 'code-it-yourself' syndrome).

   Khoros/Cantata will provide you with the histograms, thresholding, and
   probably even XY projections that you could use for image
   registration. And, it provides a visual environment in which to plug
   all the pieces together and evaluate the results.

   >   I'm interested in using The Gimp for processing astronomy photos taken
   >   with a CCD camera. Basically this involves taking a series faint images,
   >   aligning them (the object of interest will have moved slightly from
   >   image to image) and then combining them to enhance the detail of the
   >   faint object.
   >   If anyone has any suggestions on how to do this, scripts or tutorials
   >   that may help, please let me know.
   >   Thanks
   >   Bob Stafford

   L. Jack Reese   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                   __o
   `-(*)-----(*)'  My hardware runs better without Windows!  ...(*)/ (*)