At 23:11 13/12/99 -0500, MCS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What is the best way to remove a person from a digital photo(jpeg)?  I
>want to extract the person (and nothing else) from the jpeg photo and
>paste the person onto another jpeg image.

In the past when I used Photoshop, I often found the Magic Wand tool
(select contiguous regions) to be very good for this sort of thing, as long
as the background was not too complex. I would select the background and
then invert the selection.

As far as I remember, it provided an anti-aliased selection, which allowed
insertion into new pictures to look more natural (under some circumstances).

However, I have some questions about this for people knowledgeable about
both Gimp and Photoshop:

. Can I explicitly set the tolerance of the select contiguous regions tool?
There appears to be such an ability in the bucket fill tool.

. In Photoshop, I did a lot of flipping back-and-forth between the
selection and the mask, particularly in this sort of situation. Is there a
similar ability in Gimp? I'm sure it could be done somehow with the layers
dialogue, but I haven't read enough documentation yet.

. I seem to remember reading somewhere that someone has written about
converting (oneself, not files) from Photoshop to Gimp. Would anyone know
where I can find such a document?