Quickie tutorial on image composting with gimp.
by jon winters

I grabbed my camera, set it to the lowest resolution and shot a series of
images overlapping each one by at least 1/3 of the frame. (sometimes 1/2)

I transferred the images into the computer and used Image Magick to shrink
them down to 320x240  ( mogrify -geometry 320x240! *.jpg  )

Then I opened the first image in gimp and had a look.

I needed some room to work so I increased the image size to 1000x400.

After resizing the background layer was not full size so I added a new
layer and did 'merge visible layers'  and let it 'expand' when it asked.

To get things started I needed to rotate the first image.  I was looking
at the computer monitor when doing this.  Figured it would make it easy to
match the second image if I made the monitor level.

I also used the transform tool in 'perspective' mode to modify it a
little.  (use layers > alpha to selection to select the image)

For each image I created a new layer, pasted the image in, and used the
transform tool to adjust perspective and rotation. The move tool lets you
shift things around and match them up.

No big scientific process... just "seat of the pants" gimping. Some of the
images took several attempts to match.  Remember [Ctrl+z] will undo if you
transform or rotate and it doesn't come out correctly.

I wish the transform tool had interactive pre-vue, it would have made it a
lot easier.

After saving the .xcf I flattened it and applied the warp-sharp scriptfu.
Then saved the final image as a JPEG.

I like how the things in the center of the frame match up and the world
gets funky in the fore and background.

Everything is there on Obscura if you would like to grab the images and
give it a try.  (obscura is the rust-box computer under the scanner)

I'll leave the images there for a while and possibly make a proper web
tutorial with screengrabs and stuff.

Jon Winters http://www.obscurasite.com/
OpenVerse  http://www.openverse.org/