[Some comments, maybe bit off topic]
>3) I understand as well that one has to be careful not to have too large a
>swap space compared to your actual RAM, as it can end up slowing thigs

Well, swap / RAM size is a tricky thing, some OS force you how much swap you
must have, others leave you complete freedom. In any case, you must study
what do you want to do with that computer, how many RAM, and if you can live
swapping out things. OS is also important, no only if it forces or not, but
in other details, like those ones that instead of swaping code just reload
from disk (aka swap is only used for real data).

For example, I have machines with services running that are used rarely, so
to have lot of swap is good, cool the kernel swaps them out, and you keep
running, no RAM problems. The recommendation is to have enough RAM so all
fast and simultaneous task can run in RAM (browser, shell, Gimp, etc), and
send to disk those "active less than 5 seconds each hour" (inetd & httpd
servers in a workstation that also does some server tasks). I found cool to
have multiple X sessions, only one is usable in the local console, so the
rest go to swap when needed.

BTW, in most OS you can create swap files, not only partitions. Great when
having temporay problems. Read the man pages for more info.

>       Any mistakes are mine and not my knowledgeable source :^)

Not bad in general, swap related things normally require a deep knowledge of
the OS internals (I know a bit, mainly that each OS is a world ;] ).