Hi Marc & everyone else interested,

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 07:58:54PM +0200, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 11:13:08AM -0500, Mike Markowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > When I try to start gimp on a Solaris 8 box, I get these errors
> > regarding something called _eprintf.  Does any know what I'm missing?
>
> Yes, _eprintf ;)

A-har har.  :-)

> No, sorry, I have no idea where this symbol comes from.
> Could you look (= grep) through your include files for that symbol?

After taking your cue and grepping through the gcc source
(I had only checked glib, gtk, and gimp before), in the
sparc-sun-solaris2.8/include/assert.h I spied

 extern void __eprintf () __attribute__ ((noreturn)); /* Defined in libgcc.a */

> What compiler did you use?

I used gcc v2.8.1.  So after further grepping through the source, it
turns out that...

> Maybe it's some kind of #define printf eprintf (who knows ;)-

...yes, you're right!  It's simply a function passing to fprintf all its
own args but always using stderr for the output stream.

So anyway, on to the solution...

After we upgraded to Solaris 8, it seems, he says red-faced, that it
didn't occur to me to recompile gcc.  After doing so, and then
recompiling gimp-1.1.18, all is well again I'm happy to so.

Sorry for the wasted bandwidth!  And thanks, Marc, for your help.

        Mike

PS I notice a handfull of plugins whose makefiles aren't created properly:
        plug-ins/perl/Gimp/Makefile
        plug-ins/perl/Net/Makefile
        plug-ins/perl/UI/Makefile
        plug-ins/perl/po/Makefile
        plug-ins/perl/Makefile
   They always require hand editing to change 'cc' to 'gcc' even though
   configure picks up 'gcc' correctly.  Probably no big deal on linux,
   but it is on solaris when the Sun compiler is also installed.  Anyway,
   don't know if this is really the right list to mention that.