Hello
Thank you All for your responses.

This is how i planned to use it:

There will be a batch process on AIX running once a
day at night. it will pull text values (up to 1000 of
them) from a database or file system and wrap each one
into an image to be used as a label on our web site.

REQUIREMENTS:
1) ability to generate .gif
2) image quality is very important
3) controllable image sizes
4) controllable font sizes
5) ability to generate black matte around text
6) Text alignment within image should be controlled
7) Helvetica Neue font must be supported
8) Transparent background is a bonus

It seems like three major choices are:

(1) Gimp
(2) libgd (probably, not a candidate anymore as it
does not produce .gifs due to Unisys licensing)
(3) ImageMagic

Given my requirements, what would you, kind people,
recommend?

Thank you!
James