Hi all,

Assume 3600 seconds per hour, and 1000 images.  The average time per image could not
exceed 3.6
seconds per hour available.

The sheer quantity of images could require a creative solution.  I think GIMP could do
it, but
that would depend on being able to use a single GIMP session for the entire lot.  Marc
seems to
think you can, but I'd look to ImageMagick first, since it claims to be suitable for
dynamic web
stuff:

http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/ImageMagick.html

Learning to program GIMP or ImageMagick is not going to be a five minute task.  Since
you're
turning text into images, it would be worth asking yourself if you must have images.
Pages
containing loads of graphics are slow... very slow.

The LZW compression algorithm used for many GIFs is patented, I believe that GIMP has
to use a
different algorithm to create images - otherwise it would be liable for royalties.
Ref:

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html

Jonathan Paton