grokking the gimp refers to what is now the development version, which is
stable enough for production and definately worth the effort to install.

if your using redhat 6.2 youll need to upgrade a few libs to try it, the
easiest way is just to get helix gnome, which
includes gimp 1.1.2x (whatever the current devel release is) and all the
libs and stuff you need to run it (which is *alot* of libs and stuff)