its much easier to just get helix gnome and let it do all that for
you. then if you want to keep up with cvs, uninstall gimp and get that
from the cvs tree. when you update helix, it should only upgrade the
packages you still have leaving your home built gimp intact. (at least on
debian, ill have to try with mandrake which should work the same as red
hat)