At 10:30 PM 12/20/99 -0800, you wrote:
>hello all, i hope you can help - i've just decided to try out my first
>out-board/non computer effects with the gina. i got the alesis
>nanocompressor and nanoverb, pretty great value for 175 bucks for the pair.
>anyway, please tell me i'm doing something really stupid because neither
>seems to be working quite right.
>for the compressor, i decided to first start by adding a light overall
>compression to an already finished song. i ran 2 cables out of gina's 1/2
>output into the input of the nanocompressor and plugged my headphones via
>y-connector into the output of the nanocompressor. i fired up the song and
>tweaked around until i had what i thought sounded like a light overall
>mastering-type compression.
>i then unplugged the phones and ran two cables out of the nanocompressor
>into the 1/2 inputs of gina. my y-connector and phones i put into the 3/4
>output of the gina and selected via the gina console to monitor the
>compressed output (now the 1/2 inputs). the sound was totally different, it
>had this nasty tinny brasso quality to it. i figured i'd make sure my levels
>were set ok but they were fine all around. i even lowered them. then i
>checked the sound coming out of the compressor again with the phones and
>found it was fine.
>same thing happened with the reverb unit.
>any ideas anyone? thanks for reading this novel!!

I have a friend who doesn't record much often, but when he does he uses a
Gina.  Recently when he wsa doing a similar thing with Cakewalk he got the
same kind of thing.  I haven't been over to his place to check it out, but
it sounds a lot like some sort of feedback loop.  When you talk about the
tinny sound that sounds like feed back.  It also sounds like the sample
rate is getting fucked with at some point, like something is being majorly
dithered back and forth or something.  I think it is an issue between the
application software like CakeWalk and the Gina Input when working in full
duplex mode.

-john pemble

KTPR 91.1fm Operations Manager  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
John Pemble has an Internet site,