In it's ideal form (no artificial information decay) the algo is n*n

Every node communicates it's position to every other node

>From the node's perspective, it considers the positions of every other
node and it's relationship to the node before making a move

If n*n will scale to 5M nodes on giraph then it's simple

If not, we have to condense the messaging -- Barnes-Hut simulation
using an Octree or Quadtree structure is one option --
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnes%E2%80%93Hut_simulation -- this
reduces the algo to n*log(n), but adds an additional graph to consider