I actually think the name should be reversed: everything "is a Vertex", so
that should be the base abstract class, and BasicVertex (or SimpleVertex)
should maybe be the name of "the simplest generic implementation" - ie what
is now called Vertex.

And yes, then document clearly when you should subclass which one.

  -jake