Don et al: Given the low cost and availability of new wireless access
devices, plus the steady expansion (and underutilization) of the
national backbone (often fiber) in many developing nations, is the real
cost of extending voice and data telecom service to rural villages any
higher for broadband than for narrow band? If as I suspect the cost
differential is not all that much, wouldn't then broadband imply a
higher return on investment. [I am assuming, of course an ideal
regulatory environment described earlier ("market liberalization, open
investment climate, good regulation (that supports universal access)."]

Ed Malloy