Dear Colleagues,

I would place the question into a broader context:

For example, if we call 'S' the benefit to society (or the community) and
'I' the benefit to the individual (profit), any type of human action can
be grouped as follows:

S > 0 and I > 0 : "social investment"
S < 0 and I > 0 : "destructive egoism"
S > 0 and I < 0 : "true altruism"
S < 0 and I < 0 : "destructive behavior"

Yet economic history, logic and computer simulations (see:
http://atta.labb.usb.ve/Klaus/altrupun.pdf) show that only the first one
on this list causes sustainable economic growth.

In relation to non-economic benefits, estimated through the human
development index (HDI), there is a very close correlation between HDI
and GDP (more data on this, though in Spanish, can be had at
http://www.cee.usb.ve/La%20riqueza%20de%20las%20naciones.htm). Thus
clearly, at least for the poor, economic considerations are the most
important (if not they wouldn't have been called poor in the first
place).

Does anybody know of a web site with a list of successful projects
worldwide?

Klaus Jaffe
Universidad Simon Bolivar
Apartado 89000, Caracas 1080