We have trained local government people through our now spun-off
Internet Learning Centers in Laos. High school teachers who knew IT and
ran the centers in each rural locality taught local government people
based on their needs as it related to the teachers experience - and
charged them a below-market fee. This was part of their sustainability
plan.

3 out of 4 of the high school programs we created in 2001 are totally
self-sufficient by one means or another, by the way. The other one has
been doing OK, but has until recently been hampered by inconsistent
connectivity. That has been fixed, but I do not know their current
results.

Our representative in Laos is Vorasone Dengkayaphichit
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> He designed the curriculum for the high school
teachers and encouraged the teachers and backed them up. I cc him here.
Perhaps you would like to consult with him.

We developed a process for sustainability for these schools that was one
of the reasons we were lucky enough to win a Stockholm Challenge award
in 2001. In my spare time I am supposedly writing a book about the Jhai
reconciliation methodology which has led to self-sufficient plans and
programs in all the areas we work.

The upshot of what I am saying is that the more local the solution the
more likely sustainability and success. Vorasone is quite expert in
this kind of solution. Neighbor-to-neighbor training seems to work
best...maybe because everyone gets the same jokes. I know that in the
US jokes about Californians go over a little poorly in California but
cause great hilarity everywhere else. This principle works in Laos,
too. There is social science evidence of this phenomenum, but I prefer
to follow the jokes.

yours, in Peace,

Lee Thorn
chair, Jhai Foundation