On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Tom Buskey wrote:
> There's always the DOD approach: put the network cables in conduit that
> has a vibration alarm on it.  Use 10base2, token ring, or FDDI;
> something that detects a break and stops passing traffic if a splice is
> made.

1) Unless I'm mistaken (something I'll readily concede if it's the case --
   my time with Token Ring Hell^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H United Parcel Service
   was many moons ago), you could just splice the TR cable, plug it into
   a MAU, and go from there.  You wouldn't even drop packets if your
   ring was an actual ring, though you might notice a couple beacons.

2) All of this is well and good, but IMHO, encrypting the workplace would
   -not- solve even a portion of the big problem.  People who have access
   would still have access, and could just as easily e-mail files to the
   outside.  Combine that with "social engineering", and the damn keyboard
   capture devices I've seen that plug right into the PS/2 port (Hell:
   PC Magazine even wrote two up last issue), and it's *DAMN* hard to
   prevent someone who's determined from getting to stuff, and a whole lot
   easier than it would be to sniff an unencrypted packet-switched
   network.  Don't mis-understand my point: encryption -is- good.  But
   hiring trustworthy employees, expiring passwords, and enforcing good
   file-permission security (so people don't have access to things they
   don't need access to) are probably more relevant.  That, and throwing
   away Outlook.  ;-)

$.02,

-Ken