On 09/20/2016 04:05 PM, Olivier Henley wrote:
> M is the major version number
> m is the minor version number
> s is 'a' for alpha, 'b' for beta, and 'r' for release
> n is a continuously growing sequence number, irrespectively of s
>
> +1

Some schemes that I have seen successfully used:

  * m

m is the version number. It starts at 1 and is increased by 1 for each
succeeding version. This assumes that there are at least as many positive
integers as versions. I have yet to see a project for which this wasn't true.

  * m.n

m is the major version; it starts at 1 and is increased by 1 for each succeeding
major version. n is the minor version; it starts at 0 for each value of m and is
increased by 1 for each succeeding minor version, to a maximum of 9. If n is 9
and a new version is needed, m is incremented and n set to 0. This equates 10
minor-version changes to a major-version change.

  * m.nn

Similar to m.n, but nn starts at 00 and has a maximum value of 99.

  * m[.]a

Similar to m.n, but a is the minor version. It starts at A and increases through
the alphabet to a maximum of Z.

Any of these may have suffices such as "beta" added as needed.

--
Jeff Carter
"My name is Jim, but most people call me ... Jim."