I have been using Quicken for my finances for some years, but I want to change,
and I like what I have read about Gnu Cash.  I’ve had enough experience with
double-entry book-keeping systems to know what it means.

Would it be feasible to use my closing balances from Quicken, at, say,  Dec 31
2017 as the opening balances to start my Gnu Cash financials at Jan 1, 2018?

I plan to keep and be able to access my Quicken files for historical purposes
(tax returns come to mind), but I was not planning to import them into my new
Gnu Cash record.

Is this what new users usually do?