Even I feel it annoying and unnecessary.

Here is what w3c (World Wide Web Consortium) which develops Web standards has to say about adding subject in their own mailing list.

Source: https://www.w3.org/Mail/subject-tagging

   Subject tagging is not a reliable way to identify mail from a
   mailing list versus personal email, because if someone sends a
   personal reply off the list, they will likely not remove the list
   tag from the subject and the mail will get filtered to the
   recipient's list mailbox even though it was not distributed by the list.

   ... we would rather see effort invested in getting mail software
   fixed to do the right thing than provide workarounds that provide no
   incentive to do so

Also subject tagging may also break signed messages which work on subject header. (depending on how mailing list is configured)

Amish