On 8/1/23 3:58 PM, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
On 8/1/2023 11:12 AM, Mahon Finbar via gnucash-user wrote:
GNU FEB 12 2019.gnucash.20210219151108.gnucash.LCK

I did a restart of the pc and did the search again for .lck and this is is what I get.....

It is marked modified on 1.03.2021, type LCK file, 0 KB

Further mystery. I appreciate your request to slow down, and I want to, but the sequence of events, since the beginning of this saga, is so strange.

Thanks again for your patience, Barry

If you do a search for all files with file extension ".lck" what reason do you have to suppose that it is a lock file for a gnucach file? I will repeat, this is a rather common method for preventing simultaneous access to a resource. Do you KNOW that none of your other applications are using the lock file method?

Michael, that is a fair point as I noted in a previous reply, but the OP just reported, as you quoted, that the LCK file in question *was* for a GnuCash file *because* it had a GnuCash file name in it. Did you not read that part?

"GNU FEB 12 2019.gnucash.20210219151108.gnucash.LCK"

Gnucash will create a lock file for file "filename.gnucash" with the name "filename.lck" in the same directory that the file is in. You should search for "filename.lck" and not just ".lck". If you do not know the name of your gnucash data file, you have a different problem (when you first created a set of books under gnucash, your first save should have been a "save as" giving it a meaningful name and placing it in the directory of your choice -- but not knowing to do that isn't really a gnucash problem as much as a problem creating files from any application. In other words, just like wen you are creating a new document using your word processor, what do you name it and where do you put it)

I'm pretty sure that above file name proves your point. It is indeed a GnuCash related LCK file. What is odd is that it is for a file that appears to be from a backup. What is more odd is that it is for a file that doesn't match anything the OP previously reported as matching current file names. (assuming, short of a requested and not yet provided screenshot, that such list is complete)