I agree an option would be best with sub-folders as what I'd call a 'sane default'.

As for the OPs files, I suspect the search wasn't required, but maybe seemed to be useful for a directory with *lots* of files. (It also might be a case of familiarity with search and limited familiarity with sorting and arranging views in File Explorer to quickly find things)