OK, lets try to get to the bottom of this.

When I say I have had issues, I am unaware that I should not take the suggestion of 'open anyway' unless....

I have tried several times to get an answer to why I have had this issue, and what  to do about it.

I think I said in the OP that the message I have been getting about not having rights was not the first 'save' but I think I may have had finger problems, around then, as I said in the OP.

I will try, again, to send the list of files, I thought I had created a jpg.....

For information, the file  that opens today when I start Gnucash is -

GNU FEB 12 2019.gnucash.20230730134528 If that is the date and time for the file I had open it coincides with my recollection of the date and time I was working when the message 'could not write to file, etc., arose.

As you said there are multiple files opened since.

Barry