Thank you, Paige.

Some further perspective on my comment "the open access movement has developed
a habit of viewing all feedback / critique as anti-open access and reacting
defensively, as if every critic were an enemy" reflects the history of the OA
movement. There has been substantial opposition to OA, and in the early days
there were few advocates. There still is opposition, just less opposition and a
great many more advocates and practitioners.

Actual opposition often took the form of partial agreement. One form of
argument used early on, whether as deliberate deception or as wishful thinking,
was the argument that OA simply was not happening. I don't recall the exact
details but I remember sometime around 2003 or 2004 there was a discussion
about OA in a UK government context where one publisher said (in November)
there were no new OA journals created this year and the BioMedCentral rep
pointed out that BMC alone had created 11 new journals so far that year.

DOAJ has served an invaluable function over the years as documentation of the
existence and growth of OA journals. For this reason, I have used DOAJ for
macro level numbers on the numbers and growth of OA journals in my series The
Dramatic Growth of Open Access since about 2005. Data can be downloaded from
here:
https://dataverse.scholarsportal.info/dataverse/dgoa

Until recently, I posted a quarterly update on my blog The Imaginary Journal of
Poetic Economics. Today I am at the office and am blocked from accessing my
blog. I see this as an early indication of a likely rising problem for OA. That
is, as internet security concerns are noted and addressed, other OA works could
be blocked as well. This ongoing documentation of the growth of OA was intended
to help OA advocates see the advances and not just the daily hard work, to
counter the disappointment of the occasional backsliding journal with a focus
on the ongoing momentum. I continue to collect and share data, but don't do the
commentary regularly anymore, because I think it's no longer necessary.

OA journals face significant challenges from the ease of flight-by-night
commercial operators setting up scam journals and making a profit by charging
authors. This is the reason for DOAJ's "get tough" policy. In my opinion, the
OA movement still has work to do to address this problem. One of my projects is
a longitudinal study of OA journals. When DOAJ discards journals and
publishers, I don't. For this reason, I see that some of the largest publishers
I track are "no longer in DOAJ" but appear to still be active, while as noted
earlier in this thread, exclusion of small independent journals with a good
reputation for scholarly quality is problematic as well. This is important
because this is a side-effect of the author-pays model and a reason to consider
other models for OA journal support.

To summarize, OA advocates and initiatives have faced opposition, even attacks.
It is not surprising that we (yes, me too) have tended to become defensive. Old
friends may seem puzzled by my dramatic change from the regular announcement of
The Dramatic Growth of Open Access to my current critical stance. This is not
an attack, and no need to be defensive. Rather, it is my assessment that OA has
come of age. 20 years ago, the term "open access" had not yet been coined.
Librarians had not begun to dream about what their roles might be in an open
access future. Today there are thousands of OA journals and publishers, so many
OA policies that (as Poynder's interview with Edith Hall notes), a researcher's
work might fall under multiple OA policies, and "scholarly communications"
and/or "open access" have become a significant part of the work, and sometimes
the job title, of librarians. OA is becoming the default; it is time to move
beyond advocacy to developing and refining policy, services and practices for
the future.

 best,

Dr. Heather Morrison

Associate Professor, School of Information Studies, University of Ottawa

Professeur Agrégé, École des Sciences de l'Information, Université d'Ottawa

Principal Investigator, Sustaining the Knowledge Commons, a SSHRC Insight
Project

sustainingknowledgecommons.org

heather.morri...@uottawa.ca

https://uniweb.uottawa.ca/?lang=en#/members/706