>  it's amazing to see what people were able to accomplish with 2KB RAM,
> *one* general-purpose register, no hardware multiply/divide,

Constraints boost creativity and discipline programmer. You may like this
<http://files.righto.com/calculator/sinclair_scientific_simulator.html>.

Today's mainstream programmers of mainstream languages just don't give a
damn about simplicity or smallness. They don't spend any time for thinking
a small and elegant design, they just start writing and writing as it's how
they are taught.

This <http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V7/usr/src/cmd/grep.c>is
grep from unix v7. It's still compiles* and runs perfectly and it's only
478 sloc. Also see this. <http://aiju.de/misc/sloc>

Go to me is an awesome little house on a beach. I love going to it in the
> summer. Everything is great about it. Almost. It just doesn't have hot
> water. I have to heat water myself and carry it for a 1/4 mile every time I
> want to shower. It's kind of annoying, but not a big deal in itself to make
> me stop going to the awesome super fun summer house.

You are not only overestimating generics here, you are also underestimating
programmers who code in languages without generics, such as C.

**i just needed to replace BSIZE with LBSIZE, it might be a typo.*