I agree that this is one of the two large risks.
The other is whether the language remains comparatively easy to learn.

The next largest problem after those two is "what exactly do you mean by
generics"?
Some people want code stenciling, like C++ (it's fast, it's easy to
understand, code size might explode, generic methods are harder).
Some people want dictionaries (you get type checking and generic methods,
but not too likely you get speed from specialization).
Some people think erased Java-style generics are fine (these do have issues
with reflection, and it might look different w/o type tags).

Note that Java-style generics were supposed to be the best choice for
old/new compatibility.

As a technical problem it is *relatively* easy.