Note sure where you are getting that - their own report  https://www.scylladb.com/product/benchmarks/aws-i3-metal-benchmark/ is garbage as their rational is completely flawed in choosing less bare metal nodes (but far bigger) - they have exponentially reduced the communication costs... Additionally, running single Java nodes on the metal machine would perform far better. Also, the GC tuning is not designed for latency with max pauses of 500ms.

Re-run the tests on Shenandoah or Zing and see how they compare.

-----Original Message-----
From: Henrik Johansson
Sent: Feb 12, 2020 9:10 AM
To: Kevin Chadwick
Cc: golang-nuts
Subject: Re: [go-nuts] Go without garbage collector

Well, Cassandra has a rewrite in C++ ScyllaDB hat performs many times better so that particular example isn't really helping the GC case.

I don't mind the GC myself but I hear the "GC is actually faster" often and it seems not to be true in the wild although I am sure theoretical cases can be envisioned.

On 2020-02-12 14:02, Robert Engels wrote:
> Most of that is because their codebase predates Java. There are more modern dbs
> like Cassandra that are in Java. Certainly Hadoop is probably the largest
> distributed database in the world and it’s written in Java.

Bound to use more cpu cycles and memory than a c equivalent. Of course postgres
is more capable.

https://blog.timescale.com/blog/time-series-data-cassandra-vs-timescaledb-postgresql-7c2cc50a89ce/