On 22-12-2020, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 22, 2020 at 1:24 AM Markus Heukelom
><markus.heuke...@gain.pro> wrote:
>>
>> Why not issue a poll on generics, was this ever done? (I could've missed it,
>> I  am only following Go ~2 years). While the community has a vote in
>> accepting/rejecting the current generics proposal, the community was never
>> (really) asked if generics is desired in the first place and especially what
>> the scope of generics should be. Is that correct?
>
> I don't know of a poll specifically about generics.  But for the past
> several years we've done a Go community survey, and every year there
> is significant support for adding generics to the language.  For
> example, although the results of the 2020 survey haven't been
> assembled yet, you can see the results of the 2019 survey at
> https://blog.golang.org/survey2019-results.  In that survey when asked
> "Which critical language features do you need that are not available
> in Go?", 25% of the survey takers answered the question, and of those
> 79% mentioned generics.

79% of 25% is really not a lot...

Errors was also cited but we've seen that even smallest change as `try`
was rejected.

I was one of them who wanted to improve err != nil, but finally after
looking and testing all the proposals i rejected all...

> Previous years also showed support for adding
> generics.  Of course this isn't definitive, since there was no clear
> way for people they say that do not want generics.  But it's also not
> definitive in a different direction, which is that by and large people
> who don't currently use Go didn't take the survey, and probably some
> of them would also want generics.
>
> So while Go is not and never has been a poll-driven language, I think
> it's reasonable to say that there is real support for adding generics.

The problem is not really to can use generics when we want. Of course
every body want generics when he need it.
The problem is how will be used/abused generics when it just add
complexity when it would not add now...

Since years i've only one time needed generics to convert a Python lib,
then finally found a better anwser...

However, i understand that sometimes it's really usefull.

How to make sure that it's not abused ?

--
wilk