> 1) why the enhancer complains that BaseObject need to be enhanced even
> though it does not declare any fields ?

There is no problem presented here with the "enhancer" complaining.
All is at runtime actually, thrown from a call by GAE/J's DN plugin,
as shown by the stack trace above. As I've already stated, DataNucleus
does NOT require any base class to be persistent when the classes are
declared as I've already shown. If you have some other situation then
demonstrate it