"More future-oriented people might resent having to use an FTP server"  Ha,
well said.

We have a few regularly scheduled FTP pulls that we need to get so we have
a VM instance start up on a schedule, execute the FTP downloads, push the
data to our GAE app, then the VM shuts itself down.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/9f443f36-1343-4487-b05c-6f1cdbb3dfe3%40googlegroups.com.