We have been using the  Google Plugin for Eclipse (now end-of-life). There,
we are  able to launch an Eclipse Debug configuration that puts us right
into the debugger.  (Screenshot attached.)

Launching two separate processes (first appengine:runfrom the
Cloud-SDK-Based
<https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/using-maven> Maven
plugin, then the remote debug process) is particularly inconvenient given
that dozens of developer must  do this many  times a day.

We'd like to have the same simplicity of a single launch.

[image: Inline image 2]

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 9:38 PM, 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google
App Engine <google-appengine@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> Eclipse as the debugger must connect to the Jetty instance running on
>>> localhost.
>>>

>> This is inconvenient.  Every time a developer runs their code, they have
>> to launch *two* processes. Is there a plan to improve that?
>>

>>> a. You don't need to use Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse as both maven
>>> plugins support the jvmFlags option which allows you to provide the
>>> necessary
>>> JVM flags for debugging
>>> <http://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/9.4.5.v20170502/enable-remote-debugging.html>
>>> :
>>>
>>> <configuration>
>>>     <jvmFlags>
>>>       <jvmFlag>-Xdebug</jvmFlag>
>>>       <jvmFlag>-Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=9999,server=y
>>> ,suspend=n</jvmFlag>
>>>     </jvmFlags>
>>>   </configuration>
>>>
>>> See the related discussion in an issue
>>> <https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/appengine-maven-plugin/issues/6#issuecomment-134697957>
>>> on the old plugin's project page for a solution involving Maven profiles
>>> (this applies equally to the new plugin as the same parameter is supported).
>>>

>>> b. The ability to connect the debugger isn't dependent on the version of
>>> dev_appserver, which is mostly a Python wrapper around Jetty, so yes
>>> you would still be able to debug with either plugin. Note that as Jeff
>>> mentioned you can also use both plugins in your project.
>>>

>>> 2. What is the recommended development setup for Standard Env?
>>>
>>> a. Cloud Tools for Eclipse seems to be more of a 'getting started
>>> quickly' solution, with some UI conveniences but fewer features, so for
>>> more serious projects I'd personally recommend the Maven plugin.
>>>
>>> b. This really depends on your needs. There's nothing you can do with
>>> the Cloud Tools plugin that you can't do with the Maven plugin, and as
>>> mentioned you can also use both (one is a plugin for Maven via pom.xml,
>>> the other is for the Eclipse project proper, and they don't mess with each
>>> other).
>>>

>>> 3. What is the recommended development setup  for Flex Env development?
>>>
>>> No special App-Enginey bits are needed to test a flexible runtime app
>>> locally or manage it in Eclipse. This is covered in the docs
>>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/flexible/java/testing-and-deploying-your-app#running_locally>;
>>>  you
>>> can use mvn jetty:run-exploded with the Jetty plugin if you're on a
>>> Jetty based runtime or just mvn package; java -jar target/myjar.jar on
>>> any other runtime. A flexible runtime Java app is essentially just a
>>> Dockerized Java app that happens to run on the Flexible runtime.
>>>

>>> On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 8:03:33 AM UTC-4, Joshua Fox wrote:
>>> A question about Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse
>>> <https://cloud.google.com/eclipse/docs/>, given all these changes.
>>>

>>> 1. If I want to debug my projects without using "remote debugging"?
>>> a. Do I need  Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse?
>>> b. We are using the  Cloud-SDK-Based
>>> <https://cloud.google.com/appengine/docs/standard/java/tools/using-maven>
>>>  1.30 Maven plugin  which has dev-appserver v1. If we wait until
>>> Cloud-SDK-Based
>>> Maven  plugin goes back to dev-appserver v2, (how long might hat be), will
>>> we be able to debug with a Cloud-SDK-Based Maven project (opened in
>>> Eclipse, but without Google Cloud Tools for Eclipse)?
>>>
>>> 2. What is the recommended development setup for Standard Env?
>>> a. Is it Cloud Tools for Eclipse with the Cloud-SDK-Based Maven  plugin?
>>> b. Or just Cloud-SDK-Based Maven  plugin without Cloud Tools for Eclipse
>>> ?
>>>
>>> 3. What is the recommended development setup  for Flex Env development?
>>> We need a single dev-environment to develop a GAE-Standard-Env service and
>>> a GAE-Flex-Env service on the same codebase.
>>> - We actually don't need "Flex support" in the sense of a local Docker
>>> or builtin deployment. So the fact that  Cloud Tools for Eclipse  is
>>> said to not support Flex might not be relevant.
>>> - For launching an appserver, we can use the Maven-Jetty plugin
>>> (org.eclipse.jetty::jetty-maven-plugin v 9.4.2)
>>> - But I am not sure if that is the full recommended setup. What do you
>>> suggest?
>>>
>>> --
>>> gid/google-appengine/e0ad51ba-3dc0-45cd-8743-2fb1f9ba55a7%40
>>> googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/e0ad51ba-3dc0-45cd-8743-2fb1f9ba55a7%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>> .

>> --
>> *JOSHUA FOX*
>> Principal Software Architect | Freightos
>>

>> ☏* (Israel): *+972-545691165 | ☏* (US)*:  +1-3123400953* | Skype*:
>> joshuafox.freightos
>> Smoother shipping with the world's online freight marketplace.
>> Online Marketplace
>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightos.com%2Fcompare-book-manage-freight-quotes%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzfMkBQBWsovNlg47sIDORa5FpHDkQ>
>>  / In the News
>> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightos.com%2Fabout-us%2Fin-the-news%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzexnYSKKYuEW4zuC-QrR4X8G53w6Q>
>>  / Freightos Blog
>> <http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ffreightos.com%2Fresources%2Ffreightos-blog%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzczY9ZxESxvh7ITnd_Al01Xyp4gdA>
>>
>> --
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/google-appengine.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/ms
> gid/google-appengine/428996ed-dac8-46b5-bfb0-7457adc8702c%
> 40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/428996ed-dac8-46b5-bfb0-7457adc8702c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

*JOSHUA FOX*
Principal Software Architect | Freightos

☏* (Israel): *+972-545691165 <+972%2054-569-1165> | ☏* (US)*:  +1-3123400953
<(312)%20340-0953>* | Skype*: joshuafox.freightos
Smoother shipping with the world's online freight marketplace.
Online Marketplace
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightos.com%2Fcompare-book-manage-freight-quotes%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzfMkBQBWsovNlg47sIDORa5FpHDkQ>
 / In the News
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.freightos.com%2Fabout-us%2Fin-the-news%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzexnYSKKYuEW4zuC-QrR4X8G53w6Q>
 / Freightos Blog
<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Ffreightos.com%2Fresources%2Ffreightos-blog%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzczY9ZxESxvh7ITnd_Al01Xyp4gdA>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/CAD%3DB7cNDQGd%2BJY1ynuPVRECXLKnGmHSQUCGRkYffOndgRnA4wA%40mail.gmail.com.
  • [google-appengine] R... Joshua Fox
  • [google-appengine] R... 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
    • Re: [google-app... Joshua Fox
      • Re: [google... 'Les Vogel' via Google App Engine
        • Re: [go... 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
          • Re:... Jeff Schnitzer
            • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
              • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
              • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... Brian de Alwis
              • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... Brian de Alwis
              • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... 'Adam (Cloud Platform Support)' via Google App Engine
              • ... Brian de Alwis
              • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... Brian de Alwis
              • ... Joshua Fox
              • ... 'Elliotte Rusty Harold' via Google App Engine