On 10-May-2017, at 7:48 AM, Joshua Fox <jos...@freightos.com> wrote:
> I guess both approaches provide hot reload? (Debug-time class reloading.)

CT4E uses the same Eclipse facilities used for Java projects to download new
class definitions to the remote JVM.  This allows in-place modification of a
class without having to restart the web module, providing the remote JVM allows
hot-swapping in the changed class definition.

The Maven App Engine plugins support hot reload but with a very different
approach: it launches the dev_appserver on the exploded war file (i.e.,
extracted on disk) such that the .class files are overwritten during the Maven
compilation; the dev_appserver detects the file changes and restarts the web
server.  This usually requires re-connecting to the debugger though.

> What about incremental compilation?  (E..g, add a class or static method and
> launch the debugger, and only a few relevant class files are recompiled, then
> launch debug session, with no wait for a war to be  built.)

CT4E is based on Eclipse WTP which supports incremental building and
publishing.  CT4E doesn't build wars (and the dev_appserver doesn't want a war).

> I should add that we separate our code into multiple Maven-modules for
> modularity.  (This translates to one Eclipse project per Maven module.) So,
> the above features would have to work with that.

CT4E leverages m2e-wtp for multi-module support, and it works with no issue
that we're aware of.

Brian.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/google-appengine/A1D50FD3-C82F-432F-8581-96FB69C1C8C8%40gmail.com.