On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Ray Ryan <rj...@google.com> wrote:

> Basically we don't know exactly how we want to change the thing, but have a
> feeling something will be needed. Re: composition or delegation, it always
> happens, but I'm not sure that's a concrete issue yet. We could introduce an
> IsActivity interface, but I don't see anywhere in the current GWT code we
> would actually call it. People implement their own ActivityMappers by hand,
> so they could use that convention themselves.
>
> Sounds like there aren't super strong feelings on this, so today for 2.1.1
> I'm inclined to
>
>    - drop the interface
>    - rename AbstractActivity to Activity
>    - document as being forbidden from developing any non-trivial behavior
>    - and perhaps document the intent to retroactively introduce an
>    interface when it's had a chance to settle
>
> Last passionate objections?

I still feel like there is little cost in having the interface, which is
what is used in the API, and a default implementation where any new methods
added will get default behavior.  Then document that if you implement the
interface but don't extend the default implementation, you will be broken by
future updates. That lets users decide whether they care more about not
being broken by updates or more about not having to extend a base class.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google