On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM, Ray Ryan <rj...@google.com> wrote:
> Patrick, you're the case in point. Because you don't use the abstract class,
> if we change the API later we will break your app.

I guess I don't understand how you're making it better then.  I'm
currently working on Android and I have two problems that I hope won't
be introduced in GWT:

1. The activity class is huge.  Anything that doesn't seem to fit
somewhere else either goes in Context or Activity (with Activity
inheriting from Context)
2. Activity isn't Guice friendly because the framework creates
activities for you, we don't get absolute control of the ctors.  It's
driving me insane.  It's nice we don't have to worry about creating
activities and other system level objects but kind of sucks that we
can't get any kind of support beyond that.

Your argument about keeping the class simple helps reassure #1 won't
come true... for now at least, I'm more worried about the implications
of someone else becoming the steward of such a class.  I can only hope
#2 will remain like it is now in GWT and not like Android.

> Were you unable to use the abstract class? If the Activity interface were
> documented to encourage you to do so, would you have? When we break your
> app, will you be okay with that?

The abstract class didn't provide anything useful so multiple abstract
base classes were made.  In all, I have list, detail and edit abstract
base activities and each define a view interface.  Each of those
scenarios provided a better, more suitably precise implementation than
what's already in AbstractActivity.  So even if you add breaking
changes to Activity here, and I'm assuming by changes, you mean new
methods with a default implementation, otherwise an abstract class
wouldn't do much better, I have at most 3 classes to fix.  All other
activities are rooted in one of those 3 and are pretty light.

But again, I wanted to voice my concern, not really trying to change
the tide.  I don't really mind Activity becoming a class under the
conditions you mentioned.  At first, I was just a little bit worried
of getting something that, sooner or later, would match the stature of
android's activity class.