re: Heiko Braun

> it means having an optional compilation path that does not recompile the
> entire world (as the current monolithic compile path does) and instead
> tries to recompile just files (or or modules) that have changed.
>
> it is exploratory work for me right now as there are very many issues
> standing in its way.
>
> if/when it is done and ready it should make a big impact on SuperDev mode
> refresh time by reducing compile time (when compiles are run
> non-monolithically)

I've long felt like highly modular projects could greatly benefit from
producing gwtar files so that unchanged code does not require recompiling.
I've thought about using a maven plugin to add .gwtar to my jars, though
this would not be a portable solution for all GWT developers.

Any portable solution using gwtar would be to create one per module (using
a flag to enable support while still experimental), or one per java package
(maybe not a good idea given the size of some projects).

Given that the compiler already knows to remove invalidated units, this
does seem like a feasible option.
Producing .gwtars could also be done periodically for the whole project at
the developers whim, perhaps through a flag to a standard full compile?